Barry C. Kleeman, MD, FAAOSBoard-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon with Subspecialty Certification in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
Dr. Kleeman received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from the State University of New York at Buffalo where he graduated with Magna Cum Laude honors and was awarded the Clifford C. Furnas Scholarship. He obtained his Medical Doctorate Degree at New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York. After two years of general surgery training at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, he pursued a research fellowship in biomechanics at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston along with a faculty appointment at Harvard University. Thereafter, he completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. He then went on to complete a Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery fellowship at Orthopedic Research of Virginia, which was under the direction of nationally recognized Arthroscopic surgeons. While there, he assisted in the care of high school, college, and professional athletes as well as participants in the U.S. Special Olympics program.
Dr. Kleeman has taught courses for other orthopedic surgeons on the techniques of shoulder, knee, elbow, and wrist arthroscopy. He has published in nationally recognized journals and has presented his work at the Orthopedic Research Society. He is an active fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons and a member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the New York State Orthopaedic Society and the Suffolk County Medical Society. He is board-certified in Orthopedic Surgery and holds a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine. He is currently serving as the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Kleeman has extensive training in treating sports medicine injuries, arthroscopy, trauma, and arthritis in adults and children. He has brought many new and innovative techniques to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital. He was the first to perform Computer Assisted total knee and hip replacements. He is trained in ACL reconstruction, sports injuries of the knee and shoulder, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, joint replacements of the knee, hip, and shoulder, unicondylar knee replacements and minimally invasive techniques.
- Undergraduate: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY
- Medical: New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
- General Surgery Internship: Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Long Island, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Long Island, NY
- Biomechanics Research Fellowship: Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA
- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery Fellowship: Orthopedic Research of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Suffolk County Medical Society
Barry C. Kleeman, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Kleeman specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs a wide range of orthopedic procedures including:
- Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy
- ACL and Meniscus Surgery
- Joint Replacement Surgery
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Pediatric and Adult Fracture Care
- General Orthopedics